There are no easy choices for mothers who work, but being a mother and managing a home business is possible and working from home could be the best way for you to manage your multiple priorities.
6 Ways to Manage your time well
- Create a work routine. You must have a routine in place.Children accept what they are used to and if they see you working from a young age, they will be more likely to accept it as part of their day. Working at the same time each day will help work become part of your daily routine. Keep work sessions short at first and extend them as your children get older and more self-sufficient. If possible, work first thing in the morning before they wake up, and during nap or sleep times.
- Voice mail Keep your phone on silent or let it go to voice mail if you are busy with the kids.There is nothing worse than screaming kids or a mother screaming at her children to be quiet during a telephone call. Return calls when the house is quiet and under control.
- Finish Cooking before the Kids come home: Get your lunch and dinner preparations out of the way while kids are sleeping or at school. Keep the fun things to do with them - like baking a bread or a cake or making pizza. this way kids feel involved and its an activity which you can do with them.
- Don’t lock yourself away. Let your children see you working and assure them that you are available for short interruptions. Schedule work that requires quiet and complete concentration for times when your children are asleep. If you integrate your business into your home life, you will be able to “hang out” with your kids while you work. It may not be quality time, but sometimes the quantity of the time you spend with your children is just as important.
- Choose work that you can start and stop. Take mini breaks to dress a doll, give a hug or help start a new activity, your children will feel like you are accessible but busy. The point of working at home is to have the flexibility and ability to take time out to soothe a sick child or even take a day off once in a while
- Take your work with you. It’s a beautiful day and you want to take the kids out to the park or a play area. Keep a bag/laptop filled with work that you can take to the playground or even to your backyard so that your kids can play while you are there to oversee their activities. Cell phones and laptop computers allow you the luxury of a virtual office.